[python-win32] Error when trying to open a Microsoft Project file

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed May 30 20:08:39 CEST 2007

Daryl Spitzer wrote:
> I'm trying to open a Microsoft Project file using the following:

> ...but I get this error message.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<interactive input>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "<COMObject MSProject.Application>", line 8, in FileOpen
> com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (1004, 'Microsoft
> Office Project', 'Project cannot open the file.', 'C:\\Program
> Files\\Microsoft Office\\OFFICE11\\VBAPJ.CHM', 131072, 0), None)
>
> Project (Standard 2003 SP1) will open C:\test.mpp just fine interactively.
>
> Can anyone tell me why I'm getting this error message?

Yes, I can.  You are trying to open a file name with a tab character in
it.  That is, your file name is C colon tab E S T dot M P P.

Use
    a.FileOpen( "C:\\test.mpp" )
or
    a.FileOpen( "C:/test.mpp" )

> What is that
> 'C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\OFFICE11\\VBAPJ.CHM' file?  It
> doesn't exist in that location, but I found it in C:\Program
> Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\.  I tried copying it to
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ but I get the same error.

That's the online help.  Project is just telling you where you could
look for more information about the error message.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com