[python-win32] Find Target

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Apr 3 18:42:08 CEST 2008

Rickey, Kyle W wrote:

> I am trying to figure out how to show a specified file in explorer. I
> know I can call os.startfile(directory) to show the containing
> directory, but I would like the file to be selected also. Is there an
> API call that windows makes to do this?
>

> For example, right click on a shortcut and go to properties, then
> click on the ‘Find Target’ button. Any ideas?

You're talking about controlling the UI here.  You could do that by
finding the Explorer window, trolling through to find the list control,
find the entry, simulate right-click, etc., but it would be an
undocumented pain in the rear.

However, everything that's in those dialogs is exposed through the shell
API.  Why don't you just display the dialog yourself?

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com