[python-win32] COM registration/unregistration and elevation onVista

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sun Jan 20 13:08:58 CET 2008

Hi Roger,

> Runas also works on XP, so you should be able to reduce the version
> check by a notch.

Does it actually do anything there?  Maybe it prompts for admin
username/password when the user isn't an admin (as opposed to vista, which
fails even when the user *is* admin but not yet elevated).  I guess I can
google as well as you (but not tonight :)

> Could you capture the output by adding ">somelogfile" to the passed
> args ?

It appears cmd.exe isn't used.  I probably could use COMSPEC as the command,
but then I'd be likely to get 'cmd.exe' instead of 'python.exe' (which would
be much worse) and I'm really not sure its worth it for the extra complexity
- what do you (or anyone) think?

> For unattended installs, it might be helpful to have some way to
> suppress the elevation attempt and just let it fail.

Yes, good point - I should check a value in 'flags' before - 'no_retry'
sounds reasonable (ideally the boolean wouldn't have a 'no_' prefix, but
having flags default to 0/None/False etc sounds more compelling). But now is
the time to get it right, so better names welcome :)

FYI, I've finally got everything building with the Vista SDK which is
excellent - thanks for your help.  I'll just get one more Vista/Explorer
sample working and I'll get onto a new pywin32.

Thanks,

Mark