[python-win32] Problems connecting to an MS Access (.mdb) file

Robert Latest boblatest at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 16 11:51:17 CEST 2008

Hello folks,

At work I have to use an MS Access database. Actually it's two
databases (or .mdb files, anyway): One is the "master" file that
contains all the relevant data in tables, and the other one seems to
act a s a "GUI client" which connects to the first one.

Anyway, I have to go through dozens of data records each day, but for
most of them whatever it is I'm having to do could be easily automated
by a script, and that's what I'm trying to do.

Tthe "master" DB resides on a networked drive, and I made a
local copy to test out my script. When this was finished I pointed the
script at the real master, but got the error message below.

According to a password recovery tool I found on the Net
(passwordrecovery4msaccess.jar), neither GUI nor master DB carry a
password.

Ah yes, of course I've spoken to the IT guy. He doesn't like my
messing with his DB. But as this very stupid task eats up a lot of my
work time, I want to hack it.

Here's the error message:
-----------
PythonWin 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32.
Portions Copyright 1994-2008 Mark Hammond - see 'Help/About PythonWin'
for further copyright information.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py",
line 312, in RunScript
    exec codeObject in __main__.__dict__
  File "H:\ADB-python.py", line 8, in <module>
    conn = odbc.odbc(conn_str)
dbi.operation-error: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access
Driver]Allgemeiner Fehler Registrierungsschlüssel 'Temporary
(volatile) Jet DSN for process 0xfd0 Thread 0xfa4 DBC 0x349644 Jet'
kann nicht geöffnet werden. in LOGIN