[python-win32] How Do You Make Your Speech or SAPI 5 Voices

FT chester_lab at fltg.net
Fri Jun 27 05:10:54 CEST 2008

> But, the question of most importance is how to have my py2exe also
> include the wrapper for installing a speech engine if none exist
> on the destination computer.

What you probably need is to create an installer for your py2exe project,
using something like Inno, NSIS or WiX.  This installer could then include
the setup file for the speech engine and ask it to silently install.
Exactly how that would be done depends on the installer you choose and how
the speech engine redistributable is package.

Then, your py2exe application can just assume it is there, safe in the
knowledge that the installer took care of things.

I hope that answers the question you were asking :)

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

    It almost does, for I have to look into how the speech setup is handled.
I have a version of INNO installed but have not used it yet. I also have the
SAPI 5 add voices and the eSpeak install, but not SAPI 4 and any other free
source. Will have to look up the description on how to use INNO.

    Since the py2exe was not including the DLL's when doing my setup, I
first had to find out why then get a proper way to include them, which is
what other projects also found out.
    Tim gave me the pointer to the system folder, but gave the reverse
description for the receiving end and not the py2exe end so this is what I
did for the DLL's for the py2exe setup.py includes:
sys_src = os.path.join( os.environ['WINDIR'], 'system32' )
for dll in ("msvcp71.dll", "mfc71.dll", "gdiplus.dll"):
    if not os.path.isfile( os.path.join( dist_dir, dll ) ):
        shutil.copy( os.path.join( sys_src, dll ), os.path.join( dist_dir,
dll ) )

    It works fine now, now on to figuring out the INNO and hope it is screen
reader friendly on windows. Text versions is always the best, I mean text
screen and not graphical screen.

    Thanks,

        Bruce