[python-win32] Windows Vista slow down Python xmlrpc

Mike Driscoll mdriscoll at co.marshall.ia.us
Thu Mar 6 21:21:42 CET 2008

Paul,

> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 19:31:59 +0000
> From: "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [python-win32] Windows Vista slow down Python xmlrpc
> To: "Tim Roberts" <timr at probo.com>
> Cc: Python-Win32 List <python-win32 at python.org>
>
> On 06/03/2008, Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote:
> > caxelrud wrote:
> >  > The XP was about 100 times faster !
> >  >
> >  > Does anybody now how to seepup the Vista execution?
> >
> > Yes: upgrade to Windows XP.  ;)
>
> Is it also possible that Vista has some form of firewall enabled by
> default, that is not on XP? If so, disabling that may help.
>
> (Disclaimer: I've not used Vista, I'm just going off the various
> postings around, which seem to imply that Vista takes a much harder
> line on the "secure by default" approach - so having a firewall on by
> default seems plausible).
>
> Paul.

I've been watching the whole Vista debate and this guy at zdnet did some
testing with Vista's SP1 vs. XP SP2. The results are that XP is just plain
faster in most cases. You can check it out here:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1332
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1338

I have only used Vista when working on a client's PC or to uninstall it to
be replaced with its predecessor. From what I've seen personally, I also
think it's slower in general.

Mike