[python-win32] embedding IPython in a windows dll

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Mar 11 00:43:21 CET 2008

mani sabri wrote:
> I want to run a Python shell from a DllMain() function.

It isn't safe to do this much processing in a DllMain.  There is a thing
called the "loader lock" that is held while DllMain is called, and it
can prevent you from loading other DLLs.  You might try spinning off a
thread to do your real work.

> This is what I came up with so far:
>
> BOOL APIENTRY DllMain(HANDLE hModule,DWORD ul_reason_for_call,LPVOID
> lpReserved)
> {
> 	//----
> 	switch(ul_reason_for_call)
> 	{
> 	case DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH:
> 	{
> 	if (!Py_IsInitialized())
> 	{
> 	BOOL res = AllocConsole();
>
> 	//I was going to use the handles but I heard its not the way to do
> that
> 	//HANDLE OutHand = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);
> 	//HANDLE InHand = GetStdHandle(STD_INPUT_HANDLE);
> 	//HANDLE ErrHand = GetStdHandle(STD_ERROR_HANDLE);
>
> 	//Redirecting console
> 	freopen("CONOUT$","w",stdout);
> 	freopen("CONIN$","w",stdin);
> 	freopen("CONERR$","w",stderr);

Do you really think "w" is correct for all three of those?

> 	//the printf prints on the new console after redirection
> 	printf("test");
>
> 	//opening stdout and stdin files to pass to python for redirection
> 	FILE* afile = fopen("CONOUT$", "w+");
> 	FILE* bfile = fopen("CONIN$", "w+");

Again, do you really think you want "w+ for both of these?  How much
writing will you do to stdin?

> 	Py_Initialize();
> 	if (!Py_IsInitialized()) return(FALSE);
>
> 	//the bellow lines , instead of redirecting python crashes the dll
> 	PySys_SetObject("stdout", PyFile_FromFile(afile, "test","wb",
> fclose));
> 	PySys_SetObject("stdin", PyFile_FromFile(bfile, "CONIN$","wb",
> fclose));

Again, you're probably going to want to read from stdin, not write to
it.  And you don't really need to do the fopen yourself:

    PyFileObject* xout = PyFile_FromString( "CONOUT$", "wb" );
    PyFileObject* xin = PyFile_FromString( "CONIN$", "rb" );
    PySys_SetObject( "stdout", xout );
    PySys_SetObject( "__stdout__", xout );
    PySys_SetObject( "stdin", xin );
    PySys_SetObject( "__stdin__", xin );