[python-win32] Running SQL queries on excel sheets

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 20:38:45 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote:

> Rickey, Kyle W wrote:
> > In a perfect world I would get all the data into our SQL server and
> > write a front end for everyone that needs to access/modify the data, but
> > that's a ways down the road. I've still got to convince people in the
> > company that excel is NOT a good way to store database info!

I would probably run a batch process eevry night to load the Excel sheets
into the SQL server, and run my queries against that.  Your data would be
slightly out of date (not including "today"'s data) but I would think it's
an acceptable compromise (your situation may vary).

Once you get around to writing a DB frontend, newer web framework projects
like TurboGears, when combined with a DataGrid, or using
DBSprockets/DBMechanic, can make this a lot easier than it would have been
even a couple of years ago.

I'm sure Django has similar ways of simplifying this, but I haven't used it
much.

In the meantime, to cheer yourself up, consider the following:

It could be worse, they could be using MS Access!

Kevin Horn