[python-win32] excelRTDServer demo not working

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Mon Mar 17 01:01:47 CET 2008

Hi Chris,

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:34:32AM +1100, Christopher Nilsson wrote:
> On 14/03/2008, Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:
> >  Any ideas where I could get the actual numbers from?
>
> As suggested there, you can try running makepy.  eg:
>
> "%PYTHON_HOME%\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\makepy.py -i"
>
> Then just pick the correct typelib from the list (ie. the "Microsoft
> Excel 11.0 Object Library" you found).

Okay, that reports v1.5.  I plugged them into the script and then
registered it.  However, no luck - I still get "#N/A" and nothing in
the PythonWin trace collector.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:10:23AM +1100, Christopher Nilsson wrote:
> One more thing....
>
> Here are some things to check in the face of the "#N/A" cell errors
> you mentioned you were seeing.  This is from the Office XP faq...
> Might be worth hunting for any 2003 updates of it, if there are any.
>

> Why Do I Always Get #N/A When I Enter My RTD Formulas?
>
> One of the following is likely the cause:
>
>     * Macros were disabled. If the RTD server is running locally,
> under Medium and High security, users see a security warning dialog
> box. They must enable macros for the RTD server. If the RTD server is
> not code signed, it just silently fails under High security.
>     * The RTD server didn't start successfully. The ServerStart method
> must return 1. Otherwise, Excel calls the ServerTerminate method
> because it thinks the RTD server failed to start.
>     * The RTD server is listed among the disabled items. To check the
> disabled items, on the Help menu, click About Microsoft Excel, and
> then click Disabled Items.
>     * The RTD server didn't return anything in the ConnectData method
> and hasn't called the UpdateNotify method yet.

I've put security to the lowest setting, and I don't see any warnings.
Nothing is in the disabled list.  I'm hoping the other two would show
something in the trace window.

I'm really lost.  It's as if Excel doesn't see the com object being
registered at all.  I feel like I'm missing something basic.

> Sorry I can't be more help, I haven't looked at this stuff for about 4
> years, so it's a bit slow coming back to me.

I do appreciate the help you've given.

-Kevin