[python-win32] Problem creating a shortcut

Mike Driscoll mdriscoll at co.marshall.ia.us
Thu May 15 22:14:40 CEST 2008

I've had this niggling issue from time to time. I want to create a
shortcut on the user's desktop to a website that specifically loads
Firefox even if Firefox is not the default browser.

I usually use COM as it allows very specific settings of the shortcut,
such as the Working Directory and the Target Path. However, the
following will not work for some reason:

import win32com.client
import winshell

shell = win32com.client.Dispatch('WScript.Shell')
userDesktop = winshell.desktop()

shortcut = shell.CreateShortCut(userDesktop + '\\MyShortcut.lnk')
shortcut.Targetpath = r'"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
shortcut.WorkingDirectory = r'C:\Program Files\Mozilla

This creates the following target path (which doesn't work for obvious
reasons) in the shortcut's Target Path. The extra "C:\" is getting in
there somehow...

"C:\"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" https:

If I leave the website off the TargetPath, it works. If I take the path
to Firefox
out of the TargetPath, it works too. Is there another method I can use
other than
creating the shortcut by hand and using the shutil module?

Thank you for any ideas.