[python-win32] Closed Source Service

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Fri Oct 17 04:42:26 CEST 2008

Max Lynch wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering if it's possible to make a closed source service using
> python win32 and PythonService.exe?
>
> Thanks,
> Max

Depends on what you mean by "closed source".  Anything written in Python can be
reverse "decompiled" (sorry but I couldn't come up with a better word).  But
then again, anything written in ANY language can be decompiled as well.  Packing
it with py2exe and making a full installer using Inno Setup can make that more
trouble than it is worth.  In today's world the ONLY way to make sure your code
isn't decompiled, reverse engineered, etc. (regardless of language) is to have
it contact your server (either every time it runs or periodically) and to
confirm that a proper license is in place.  This does eliminate the possibility
of running on a non-Internet connected system (not as much of a limitation as it
was a few years ago).

If you are asking if you can sell a service written in python, win32, and
PythonService.exe, the answer is certainly.

-Larry