[python-win32] force outlook ui update

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Oct 30 18:07:26 CET 2008

Christan K. wrote:
> Thank you both for your comments. In fact I naivly assumed that, thinking in
> terms of a mvc pattern, the outlook gui was the view and mapi manipulated the
> model so that the gui would be aware of every change in the model. Obviously
> this is not the case.

That is not an unreasonable expectation, but unfortunately, that is not
the case.  MAPI is a general-purpose email interface.  The model is that
there is some anonymous and faceless server that is offering to handle
MAPI requests.  MAPI was actually developed well before Outlook; Outlook
offers MAPI services only because it is sensible for it to do so, but
it's an add-on.  It's not a core part of Outlook's world, and as you can
see, the integration is not particularly tight.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com