[python-win32] Help required in opening a remote file in python. [SEC=PERSONAL]

Andrew MacIntyre Andrew.MacIntyre at acma.gov.au
Mon Feb 23 08:45:03 CET 2009

> Hello all, I am writing an application where I need to open a shared
> file on a remote machine using python script. I tried using the
> following function: f =
> urllib.open("\\remote_machine\\folder1\\file1.doc") I also tried using

> class urllib.FancyURLopener(...) but didn't work.
> Can some one help me in this regard. Thank you in advance, Venu

If it's a shared file on a Windows network (which I'm inferring),
provided you have the necessary access permissions, use
    open("\\\\remote_machine\\share\\folder\\file", "r")
          ^^^^
Note that UNC names do require a double backslash to start...

Its often easier to read as
    open(r"\\remote_machine\share\folder\file", "r")

If you really must open it via urllib, then try
urllib.open("file://remote_machine/share/folder/file")

-------------------------> "These thoughts are mine alone!" <---------
Andrew MacIntyre           National Licensing and Allocations Branch
tel:   +61 2 6219 5356     Inputs to Industry Division
fax:   +61 2 6253 3277     Australian Communications & Media Authority
email: andrew.macintyre at acma.gov.au

If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the email and any attachments to it. The information contained in this email and any attachments may be private, confidential and legally privileged or the subject of copyright. If you are not the addressee it may be illegal to review, disclose, use, forward, or distribute this email and/or its contents.

Unless otherwise specified, the information in the email and any attachments is intended as a guide only and should not be relied upon as legal or technical advice or regarded as a substitute for legal or technical advice in individual cases. Opinions contained in this email or any of its attachments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of ACMA.