[python-win32] pywin32 build 213 released

Mark Tolonen metolone+gmane at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 05:52:49 CET 2009

"Mark Hammond" <skippy.hammond at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:49A334C4.50207 at gmail.com...
> On 16/02/2009 11:50 PM, Mark Hammond wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>    I'm extremely happy to announce the release of pywin32 build 213 - the
>> first release of pywin32 with support for Python 3.x.
>>
>> This release has a large number of changes and should, in general, be
>> considered BETA quality ...
>
> I'm not sure if my BETA warning has put people off from trying it, but I
> believe there hasn't been a single report of a regression in this build :)
>
> So if I did put you off, please give it a go...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

I'm using it, and love the Unicode support.  It still has a problem with
backspacing over non-ascii characters such as Chinese in the editor, by
deleting byte-at-a-time instead of character-at-a-time.  It will throw
exceptions in the interpreter window as the bytes are backspaced over.  It
works fine in the interpreter window.  I filed a bug and found and posted an
update that works for me, but may not be the best solution.  I'm not
familiar with Scintilla.

I also noticed that the default encoding for saves is latin1 in both 2.x and
3.x versions.  Shouldn't it be ascii for 2.x and utf8 for 3.x if a #coding
declaration isn't present?  I like that the editor recognizes the #coding
line and saves in the requested encoding.

-Mark