[python-win32] Unable to install PyWin32 with Python 2.6.2

Chris Kaynor ckaynor at zindagigames.com
Tue Jul 7 20:17:51 CEST 2009

I have an install of Python 2.6.2 and am trying to get a copy of
PyWin32 (version 213) installed under the site-packages folder. The
install process always gives the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 601, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 311, in install
  File "<string>", line 149, in LoadSystemModule
ImportError: DLL load failed: This application has failed to start
because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the
application may fix this problem.

during the post install scripts. Effectively the same error also
occurs if I just ignore the installer's error and attempt to import
PyWin32.

After digging around, I suspect the problem may be related to the
manifest files embedded into the pyd files, however I have not been
able to find out what the proper manifest files should be (this is
related to issue 4566 for Python).

In addition, I have tried to compile from source, and have
consistently received the error:

error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

despite adding the path to this file to the path, and running it from
within the same command prompt. This occurs when I run the command

python setup.py -q build

as well as, just to test it, replacing the build with install. Various
Google searches have turned up nothing related to PyWin32, and little
else besides. Searching the files included with the PyWin32 213 source
release turns up no instances of this file being used.

Any help on getting either of these issues resolved is appreciated.