[python-win32] Distutils changes broke pywin32 build

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Tue May 19 15:44:05 CEST 2009

Tim Golden wrote:
> Something in the changes to build_ext.py in r72585 has broken the
> setup.py build for pywin32:
>
> http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Lib/distutils/command/build_ext.py?r1=72531&r2=72585&pathrev=72585

Well, in short, it's a change in the way in which package
prefixes are used when retrieving the filename in pywin32's
setup.py at lines 1123ff.

As it stands, none of the if conditions in that function are
firing, because the package-qualified name is never passed in.
Therefore the default build_ext.get_ext_filename is called and
the version info is never added to the filename.

I've posted this here because I don't know whether to characterise
this is a bug on the Python tracker or on the pywin32 one. Opinions
sought...

TJG