[python-win32] win32api documentation

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 16:28:21 CEST 2009

Hi everyone...

I've been searching high and low looking for any sort of decent
reference for the win32api in python and I can't find anything that is
useful.

The only real explanation I've found is the msdn site, but as I'm not
a C programmer, translating the various calls to python and guessing
what the python functions are called is probably an exercise in
futility at best.

So I wanted to start off by asking if any of you can point me to some
site or document that lists the various python calls to the win32api.

What I'm trying to do ultimately, is improve our testing scripts,
which are all python.  They are cross-platform and geared to run on
both windows and Linux systems in test.  The linux side is fairly
trivial, as I am pretty intimate with getting  what I want from a
Linux system.  However, getting that info, programmatically in Windows
is new ground for me and because I want this stuff to be as light as
possible, and portable, I don't want to rely on a bunch of extra
Windows tools to get the info.

The win32api has the calls I need, I just need help or a reference to
get them over to python.

So what I'm trying to do for now, is fairly simple.  I just want to be
able to make a couple calls and get system info like the number of
processor packages, the number of processor cores, processor flags (if
possible), free mem, total mem, OS version and a few other tidbits of
system information.

Any ideas that will help me get a clue?

Jeff

--

Stephen Leacock  - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue
that I shall some day die, which is not so." -