[python-win32] using WMI to get processor flags...

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 22:21:27 CEST 2009

First, Thanks again Tim Golden :)

I've gotten a lot of use out of WMI so far, though I'm still trying to
get an actual list of WHAT I need as far as system info for this tool
I'm writing.

Now I've got another question that I hope someone can provide the
answer I want, not the one I'm afraid is coming ;-)

So I've been looking at Win32_Processor and it provides a lot of
processor information that I need, like max speed, cpu stepping,
family ID and so forth, and I can also get packages, cores, and
logical counts.

What I haven't been able to find is a way to get a listing of
processor flags (like FPU, MMX, SVN, VMX, SSE3, HTT, etc).  Is there a
way to do this without resorting to pycpuid??  Pycpuid can give me
this stuff but it requires some compiling for systems, and I'm still
not positive that it will work across platforms (AMD v. Intel).

Any thoughts?  I haven't found an answer yet.  I've also looked at
CIM_Processor, but it seems to me that the CIM classes are identical
to the Win32 classes, at least in most cases.  I haven't dug TOO
deeply into CIM_Processor though...

Cheers
Jeff

--

Charles de Gaulle  - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
myself loving dogs." -