[python-win32] 2010 com addin and IRibbonExtensibilty

robert2682 robert2682 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 6 05:42:42 CET 2010

Christian K. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> has anybody experiencs in writing Outlook com addins using the
> IRibbonExtensibilty mechanism? I would like to make use of the ui
> features provided by office 2010. Currently I am creating office
> toolbars as demonstrated in the win32com.demos and all toolbars go to
> the "Addins" tab.
>
> Thanks in advance, Christian

Hi,

I tried to get it working using Excel 2007 (I have not tried 2010).  I
was able to get the extension to display on the Ribbon, and was able to
call a function on a button click, but I ran into trouble reading the
value of the IRibbonControl parameter to the callback.  I just kept
getting a com error (I don't recall the number, but it was the one that
means generic error to Microsoft) trying to access the properties of the
IRibbonControl.  I spent a goodly amount  of time on this, and
eventually decided it was some kind of bug.

I had meant to post a small program demonstrating the bug, but never got
to it.  If you make any progress, or want to discuss this further,
please let me know, on or off list.

Robert Kaplan
robert2682 at verizon.net