[python-win32] get file tags in windows7 vista

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 20:41:22 CET 2010

On 12/12/2010 12:20 AM, nonino wrote:

> Ok, Lets start from the beginning:
> I am doing a PhD in information science. As part of my study I am studying
> the use of folders vs. tags. starting from windows vista there is an option
> in windows to add tags to office files photos and other file formats. In the

I'm completely guessing here, but I suspect different techniques are
used depending on the file format.  eg, I suspect that jpg files used
the EXIF data, while office files etc use "structured storage".  Windows
may have APIs available in Vista to hide these details from you, but I'm
not familiar with them.  You probably need to do a little research into
how you would access these tags using any language, then we could help
you use those same techniques from Python.

Cheers,

Mark