[python-win32] Concurrent Access to COM object from Python and VB6

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Feb 5 20:25:55 CET 2010

Bryan Berrett wrote:
> I have a number of programs written in VB6 that use an ActiveX control
> that allows access to a shared memory pool of variables. I
> successfully used the following code to hook into this and access the
> shared memory variables. The only problem is that when this program is
> active I can not launch any of my other programs that use the same
> ActiveX. They hang upon initialization. As soon as I terminate the
> Python process, the VB6 program will finish loading and functions as
> expected.
> I am not sure what I need to do in order for the Python program to not
> block access. If I start all the VB6 programs first and the Python
> program last, everything works and can access the shared memory
> variables.

 I don't know why a COM object would behave like this.  That's unusual.
As an experiment, you could try deleting the object to see if that's
enough to let the other apps run:
    del beWise

However, since you have other object instances hanging around (the
varInt and varString), I'm dubious that it will make much difference.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com