[python-win32] win32com calling IE: OLE error 0x800704a6

Kees van Schaik keesvanschaik at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 20:28:37 CET 2010

>The 80070xxx errors are often COM-wrapped versions of the standard
>Windows errors.  0x4A6 is 1190, which is "ERROR_SHUTDOWN_IS_SCHEDULED".
>Is it possible this happens after a Windows Update has occurred but
>before the reboot?

Thanks. It is not impossible, but unlikely given that it has occured
so frequently over the last period and the pc gets rebooted each
morning. I mean, I don't assume updates that require restarting occur
so frequently, do they?
Then again, the pc is used by somebody who might be missing such things.

Although this is not the right thread, I'm looking at alternatives in
case I can't get it resolved. The most straightforward way seems to be
to print directly using a win32ui.CreateDC() object. There is only one
problem left with that approach, namely

dc.TextOut(0, 0, "Text")

works perfect to place plain text on the page, but I'd also need to
print a limited number of non-ASCII characters (accents in names,
eurosign) and feeding the above method a unicode-string seems to throw
an error. Is it possible to get
non-ASCII characters printed this way?