[python-win32] PyWin32 sur intel xeon 64-bit

Preston Landers planders at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 19:08:47 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Pro <bruno.lehyaric at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi every body,
>
> I'm migrating from windows 32bit to 64bit on intel platform.
> I wonder if PyWin32 works well on intel 64 bit?
>
> Is somebody in the same case here?
>

> Regards,
>
> Bruno.

Keep in mind that "PyWin32" is the name of the product / package, but it can
be deployed in both 32 bit and 64 bit configurations.

In general, using a 32 bit Python + PyWin32 works just fine on 64 bit
Windows.

However there are a couple of very specific things that require a 64 bit
build of Python and PyWin32 (and any other extensions) when running on a 64
bit server.

One is running an ISAPI web server extension like iis_wsgi.   (Running
iis_wsgi may also require a tweak to Python 2.6.5's extension compiling file
to fix the inclusion of Visual C runtime in the DLL manifest, but that's a
bug/issue in Python, not PyWin32.)

The other (I'm not 100% certain about this) is writing a Windows Explorer
extension in Python.

There may be a few other odds and ends like that which require 64 bit, but
if you don't use / need those features, then you don't need to have 64 bit
Python.

I haven't seen any problems resulting from 64 bit deployment.  It works
great for me.

Hope this helps,
Preston