[python-win32] ImportError on win32api

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Tue Mar 16 02:42:23 CET 2010

Starting yesterday, one of my programs gets an import error trying to
import win32api.  The last time I ran the program was probably a month
ago, and in the meantime I had updated the Python version, as follows:

2.6.4 (r264:75706, Jan 22 2010, 16:41:54) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]

This was installed from ActiveState's distro, which includes the Win32
stuff.

The error happens on the following, regardless of whether other imports
happen first.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"M:\Programming\Python\sources\diskutils\testwin32api\testwin32.py",
line 23, in <module>
    import win32api
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

I added in logic to search the sys.path, and it found that:
  C:\PrgFiles\APython26\lib\site-packages\win32

contained file win32api.pyd

I examined python26.dll with Dependency Walker 2.2, and it showed a
missing delay-load:  MSJAVA.DLL (imported by MSHTML.DLL).  But that
shouldn't be a problem, unless one of the MSJAVA entry points is
actually used.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
DaveA