[python-win32] MAPI with win32com

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon Mar 22 14:36:52 CET 2010

On 22/03/2010 13:28, King Simon-NFHD78 wrote:
> I can't speak for Werner, but I recently had a request from a user of my
> application for an 'email this project' button on the toolbar, which
> would create an email message, attach the current project to it, and
> then allow the user to edit the message body itself.

That would be the kind of scenario I had envisaged. Of course, you
could run up a suitable window yourself before handing off to SMTP etc.
but then you're presenting your user with a different interface
than the one he/she is used to and/or you have to re-implement all
the different buttons (address book, spell check etc.) which is
doubtless more trouble than it's worth.

> Unfortunately, popping up an Outlook window with the file already
> attached is just a better user experience.

Agreed. (If they normally use Outlook :) )

> I would love it if there were a way to do this that worked in the user's
> preferred mail client.

There just isn't, and there isn't really the incentive, I believe
from any of the email client providers to do that. As you point out, you
can use a mailto: link with a certain amount of flexibility. You
could, I imagine [WARNING: unconsidered idea ahead] pre-drop the attachment
to dropbox or sendfile or one of these online services and then the
body of the email could just include the link to the online file.

TJG