[python-win32] Win API call to display a BMP/PNG file as a splash screen for a console app?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Mar 23 02:09:11 CET 2010

Andrew MacIntyre wrote:
> Is it possible to draw directly to the desktop?  I vaguely recall reading somewhere that that is how some splash screens are done to avoid the overhead of a window...

Yes, it's possible, but that's not the right way to do a splash screen,
because there's no good way to force the regions you overwrite to
refresh themselves.

It IS possible to do a simple GUI window using pywin32 directly.  It
isn't pretty (it's like coding to the SDK directly), but I suspect it
would do what you need.  Check in your win32\Demos directory for
win32gui_demo.py and see where that gets you.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com