[python-win32] Win API call to display a BMP/PNG file as a splash screen for a console app?

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 17:06:21 CET 2010

Malcolm:

   I used to have exactly what you need.  Unfortunately,  when I checked
just now, I find that I failed to "lift" a copy of the source code when I
left the place where I wrote it. "It" was a command line utility which
accepted as arguments the name of a .jpg file and the number of seconds to
display it before exiting. As it happens, mine was written in wxPython.  Any
of the previous suggestions would be a good start.  The point is that you
have your console program run the  splash as a separate (non-console)
program -- using a "Run and don't wait" OS call -- so that the GUI stuff is
not complicating your console code.
  My application displayed a cartoon of a human skeleton looking at a
computer display which said "Please Wait." It was placed at the beginning of
a long and complicated automatic login script for a dedicated workstation
and displayed for 20 seconds.  It completely eliminated anxious users trying
to poke at the workstation before it was ready.
  Yes, the extra .exe and the .jpg will add a little weight to your
distribution, but storage is cheap these days, and user satisfaction is
worth it, IMHO.
--
Vernon