[python-win32] Using os.startfile() for automation

Tony Cappellini tony at tcapp.com
Fri Feb 4 01:59:15 CET 2011

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 10:42:37 +1100
From: "Andrew MacIntyre" <Andrew.MacIntyre at acma.gov.au>
To: python-win32 at python.org
Subject: Re: [python-win32] Using os.startfile() for automation
       [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

>>Other than COM, application automation on Windows requires Windows API
>>programming to send the necessary messages to application windows - this
>>is what AutoIt does.

I believe that people have written Python code to
do this; googling "python application automation" might give you some
ideas.

Autoit3 exposes some of it's API's via COM, but I'd rather avoid COM.

http://code.google.com/p/robotframework-autoitlibrary/
Python + AutoIt via COM just seems like too many layers, just to invoke the
File  Save As menu.

This looks like its the most mature Python package and is the one I'm trying
to use, but with no success at the moment. At least there have been updates
recently.
http://code.google.com/p/pywinauto/
but the API is bad and the docs are confusing.

This is next inline, and ....
http://www.tizmoi.net/watsup/intro.html

There was one other, but googling isn't finding it at the moment, however it
is the project which started the others.