[python-win32] Python Excel - 2 workbooks affect each other [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

David Hutto smokefloat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 01:25:43 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Andrew MacIntyre
<Andrew.MacIntyre at acma.gov.au> wrote:
> [apologies for top post]
>

> I’m far from an expert, or even experienced, in Excel however the term
> “paste” rings bells.  Behind the scenes, material in the clipboard has lots
> of metadata and a selection copied from one open workbook includes the

I'm not an expert on excel either, but isn't excel a file that can be
read in and parsed for tags?
> references to that workbook so when you paste it Excel includes those
> references and effectively links the pasted to cells to the pasted from
> cells.  If you must use paste, then you will probably need to use “paste
> special” and select “values” – this should break the references back to the
> original source.
>

> If you carefully look at the “formula” of a pasted cell, you might see how
> the source workbook & worksheet are identified – I know that this sort of
> thing is visible when using the “function wizard” with such Excel functions
> as VLOOKUP.
>

> -------------------------> "These thoughts are mine alone!" <---------
>
> Andrew MacIntyre           Operations Branch
>
> tel:   +61 2 6219 5356     Communications Infrastructure Division
>
> fax:   +61 2 6253 3277     Australian Communications & Media Authority
>
> email: andrew.macintyre at acma.gov.au            http://www.acma.gov.au/

According to theoretical physics, the division of spatial intervals as
the universe evolves gives rise to the fact that in another timeline,
your interdimensional counterpart received helpful advice from me...so
be eternally pleased for them.