[python-win32] Fonts behaving differently with Py3/216

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 04:37:30 CET 2011

On 4/03/2011 1:31 PM, Greg Ewing wrote:
> I recently tried running PyGUI on Python 3 using
> pywin32 build 216, and a couple of things are
> not working quite the same way as they were with
> Python 2 and build 213.
>
> 1) The default font used for control labels etc.
> is slightly smaller.
>
> 2) When I calculate the width of a piece of text
> using DC.GetTextExtent() I get a value that is
> too small, and doesn't match the actual size of
> the text as it is drawn.
>
> Anyone have any idea what might have changed,
> and what I can do about it?

What version of python and how many bits?  I'm guessing you tried 3.2,
which means you must have used the 64bit version (as the 32 bit version
of pywin32 appears to have 2.x syntax .py files).  Assuming you've been
using 32bit builds on 2.x, I guess that could point to a bug in the
64bit port of pywin32?

The only other thing I can think if is the manifest changes - windows
uses the manifest of the "owning hmodule" for some things (notably the
version of the "common controls" used), which is why the winxpgui module
exists.  It seems unlikely, but I wonder if those changes have told
windows to put things in some kind of compatibility mode.

Cheers,

Mark