[python-win32] Backup up Windows ACLs

Randy Syring rsyring at inteli-com.com
Fri Mar 18 23:33:41 CET 2011

On 03/18/2011 05:34 PM, Tim Golden wrote:
> On 18/03/2011 9:28 PM, Randy Syring wrote:
>> The issue I am running into is that I am not sure how to copy files from
>> windows to the Linux and preserve ACLs.
>
> I assume that you only want to preserve them as metadata, not
> to map them somehow to whatever security model obtains on the
> Linux disk?
Correct.

> The only kind of thing I can come up with (hand-wavingly) is to
> convert the SD of each file to its equivalent SDDL and then to
> track that along with the file. I was going to suggest stuffing
> it in an ADS but presumably that wouldn't survive the journey
> to Linux either. No doubt you could contrive some kind of
> parallel metadata/database which could hold the info...
Ok, I read up on my accronyms.  Is there anything in the windows python
landscape that implements SD <=> SDDL or would be a building block to
doing so?  Looks like the following might fit the bill:

http://code.google.com/p/pysddl/source/browse/trunk/sddl.py/sddl.py

I'm also wondering what the best method would be for creating this
information and sending it to the backup server.  Should I create a temp
file every time I do backups, send the file to the server, then delete
the file.  Or should I cache the info somewhere.  Any suggestions?

> The additional complication with ACLs (especially when it comes
> to restoring them) is coping with the levels of inheritance and
> override.

Dully noted.  Any advice or code examples that might help with this?

Randy Syring
Intelicom
Direct: 502-276-0459
Office: 502-212-9913