[python-win32] Catching Send To in Office

Mike Driscoll mdriscoll at co.marshall.ia.us
Thu Mar 24 14:04:16 CET 2011

Hi Tony,

On 1:59 PM, Tony Cappellini wrote:

> On 1:59 PM, Tim Roberts wrote:
> > Mike Driscoll wrote:
> >> Does anyone know of a way to catch the "Send To Mail Recipient" in
> >> Microsoft Word or Excel? I want to redirect that to our web mail
> >> somehow.
> > Well, let's brainstorm for a moment.  That link fires up the "default
> > mail provider" for your computer, which in found in the registry.
> > Theoretically, you ought to be able to rewrite that key to a browser
> > command that brings up your webmail page, or to an application that does
> > the same thing.  Check HKCU\Software\Clients\Mail or
> > HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail.
> >

> Mike,
>
> If I've understood you correctly ...
> Why not just create a new sendto shortcut which points to your
> application,
> and copy it to the SendTo directory?
>
> I've created custom sendtos before, and it's quite convenient to make
> sendtos for other systems.
> You then just right click and send entire directories across the
> network like this.

I think I know how to do the Send To right-click stuff now (thanks to
the guys on this list and on wxPython IRC), the problem is catching the
Send To inside MS Word, Excel, etc. They are not using the same process.
Maybe I need to create my own VBA junk in them that does it for me. I'm
going to try using procmon to try to see what Word is doing. If anyone
has any ideas, that would be great. Thanks!

- Mike