[python-win32] Next question relating to 'better' versions

Jacob Kruger jacobk at mailzone.co.za
Thu May 19 11:22:07 CEST 2011

Ok, firstly, I have moved over to an email address I do actually have some control over the format of, but anyway.

Aside from that, I was just wondering what versions of python would be better to actually get used to since while I am currently going through a 4th edition version of Learning Python, which is one of the books I ran across a mention of in the specific tutorial material I was looking at for Eclipse IDE etc. earlier since that's the sort of preferred IDE for some of the guys here at work who want to focus on a specific form of python development for a hand held device, but I see in that book they mention various version changes relating to some built in functions, slight syntax changes, etc., and, for example, while now looking into py2exe, I see that it currently is only meant to support up to around python 2.7 at the moment..?

Another simple example was that while playing around at looking into something like a rather simple interactive fiction interpreter that was using to test various tutorial bits of material, I see that while in 3.2 I had been using the input() function, it does something a bit different if I then try execute that piece of scripting/coding via 2.7 or 2.6 - tries to do what 3.2 would call an eval() on it.

That's still not the end of the world, but had currently been playing around with python 3.2 on my 2 different machines, but do also have 2.6 and 2.7 installed, but, for example, the environment variable's path variable currently refers to python 3.2, but anyway - just wondering if it's better to not rush into newer versions off-hand, since also think my boss mentioned 2.6 to me or something?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA