[python-win32] ProgID/class string for MS TTS Engine not working

Jacob Kruger jacobk at mailzone.co.za
Thu May 26 09:20:15 CEST 2011

The full class name for a standard TTS synth, when accessing it via .Net comes out as:
System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer

And, that is referring to a file called System.Speech.dll, and there are unfortunately also different versions for the varying .net frameworks, but none of the 3 I found on my machine will allow me to execute the regsvr32 on them as such, and in python pythoncom.connect() tells me there's an issue with the class string.

One other alternative I have gotten to work is to use the command line app from a guy called Jamal Masry's SayTools applet:
http://www.empowermentzone.com/saysetup.exe

And that one will alternatively make use of a screen reader, MSSAPI, etc., and I just used it with this:
#code
import os
os.system("sayline 'hullo there...'")
#end code

That one uses the SayTools.dll that I would have liked to use more directly, but which windows7 doesn't seem to want to register a class name for, etc., but will now just have to look into what files etc. I'll need to copy/move around if I want to produce spoken text aside from normal output, etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA