[python-win32] How to call Python methods and properties from VBS?

FT Chester_Lab at fltg.net
Thu Sep 8 15:20:37 CEST 2011

Mark,

This script:
set interp = CreateObject("Python.Interpreter")
interp.Exec "import sys"

    Is this not calling a local computers installation of Python?

    I read over several times the Py2Exe docs and the chapter 12 stuff on
making the .dll and .exe. I always compile with both being made and test my
programs and they work fine.

    This example that you pointed me to and I had already read seems to
indicate that the Python is already on that computer by calling that
CreateObject method.

    It does not answer my original question, for looking around it seems all
examples assume the Python is already installed.

    I read the way you use specific commands inside all definitions to
indicate what you want to expose and not expose, but where is the complete
example of someone installing th e .dll and or .exe into a machine that does
not have Python and registering assuming that?

    Question number 2, I attempted to download the latest win32 packages one
compiled/built July 2009 and May of this year. In both cases I could not
install the .exe and the error was saying both are corrupted!

    Now, I need a direct link to the actual download and not a third party,
jump, moved to another page link, for I think I may have been directed to a
virus loaded page to download these files.

    So, I need a good example on what I had asked below and the page to have
the latest Python2.5 com and win32 packages to run with, for I have only
2007 versions on my computer.

        Sincerely
        Bruce

Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 12:24 AM
Subject: Re: [python-win32] How to call Python methods and properties from
VBS?

Please keep replies on the python-win32 list - others may also be able
to help you too.

You might like to check out the sample in samples\pywin32\com_server in
the py2exe distribution - that demonstrates a simple COM object and has
a VBScript sample which calls it.

Hope this helps,

Mark

On 6/09/2011 1:38 PM, FT wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
>      I wanted to have the python and other modules from a py2exe
accessible
> from vb script. So I would need to have the best documentation on how to
set
> up the python com library to be able to call it from vb script. This is
not
> using a web server, but inside a screen reader script language. The one I
am
> using is Windoweyes Scripting language which has all or most windows
methods
> and the external xml file for screen displays.
>
>      I am a blind programmer and use the screen reader with a built in vb
> script programming language. So, knowing Python I want to be able to call
> those module methods at will. I have made executables but they reside in a
> sub directory of Windoweyes and are limited to only what the .exe file
does
> and not flexible beyond that point.
>
>      I was given snap shots of examples but they are very spotty and
actual
> say they show a vb script example, but none was displayed.
>
>      I am assuming that you have to make a class for all the modules you
want
> to be able to call, but not really sure on that. I have spent all evening
> trying to find examples and such and came up with almost nothing but an
old
> activestate 2.4 brief description which said little on what to do.
>
>      So, this is where I am at the moment and have found little to explain
> fully what to do. It showed a way to set up the py2exe but the so called
> example call from vb script was not there but it said it was. The typical
> hello script example.
>
>      So, what I need is a very good tutorial on how to step by step make
the
> class and compile it to a distributle so it can be registered and called
as
> a com or automation call from vb script. Using what I would assume to be
the
> CreatObject command in vbs to make an instance of that
object/module/method.