[python-win32] encoding decoding for python2.5

Preston Landers planders at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 00:18:14 CEST 2011

Hi,

I think people might be reluctant to give you an in-depth tutorial
here on security and encryption.  For one thing it's not really the
right place - this is the mailing list for the PyWin32 extensions and
related topics, not for the general topic of securing information in
databases.

Also it's pretty clear that you're a bit of a neophyte at this (no
offense intended, it may also be a language issue) so people might be
reluctant to give you simple advice (one or two paragraph's worth) and
then you might get a false sense of security that you've got the
"security issue" handled. Securing a web app is a complex process and
it involves way more than simply encoding a few fields.

Personally, I would focus on securing overall access to your database
instead of trying to secure particular fields within the database.  I
wouldn't recommend giving untrusted users direct access (even
read-only) to a production database like this.  I would mediate
everything through access controls in my web app.  If you still want
to encrypt fields, there's packages out there like PyCrypto you can
investigate.  MySQL also seems to contain some encryption functions
though I'm not personally familiar with them.

Good luck,
Preston