[python-win32] vb errors from Python COM object now include the traceback lines

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Thu Apr 19 22:32:08 CEST 2012

I am upgrading an old windows application from Python 2.4 to Python 2.6.
The application is written in portable Python.  A GUI interface was
created by using Visual Basic (VB 6) and a Python module that wraps the
application as a COM object.

With python 2.4 (and pywin32-210) exceptions resulted in a VB ERR object
where the description was the text from the Python exception.

With python 2.6 (and pywin-217) the description includes the traceback
making the error messages hopelessly confusing to the user.

I could not find any documentation describing the change or offering any
configuration clues.  Comparing the win32com source trees has not
helped.  I could not find a change in the Python code relating to the
traceback appearing in the descriptions.

I am hoping one of you can point me in the right direction.  My
alternative appears to be (painfully) writing some VB code to discard
the traceback lines from  Err.Description.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp