[python-win32] Python WMI SCript to get installed software

M Saunders TAS saunders.m3 at we-learn.com
Wed Jul 25 19:51:38 CEST 2012

>From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa394378%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
Win32_Product only lists software installed by Windows Installer (applications installed via msi or msp packages)

Parsing the registry key "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" should lead to information regarding other installed software.

Matt

Subject: [python-win32] Python WMI SCript to get installed software

Hi all on the list.

The following question is regarding an error that raises when i try to execute this script:
import _winreg
import wmi

r = wmi.Registry ()
result, names = r.EnumKey (
  hDefKey=_winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
  sSubKeyName="Software"
)
for key in names:
  print key

and this is the error message it give me:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\wmitest8.py", line 7, in <module>
    sSubKeyName="Software"
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wmi.py", line 431, in __call__
    handle_com_error ()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wmi.py", line 241, in handle_com_error
    raise klass (com_error=err)
x_wmi: <x_wmi: Unexpected COM Error (-2147352567, 'Ocurri\xf3 una excepci\xf3n.', (0, u'SWbemProperty', u'Los tipos no coinciden ', None, 0, -2147217403), None)>

I’m on a win7 machine, python 2.7 installed, and win32 library installed.

what i’m trying to do is to get the installed software on the machine, but not with the Win32_Product, because the list it posts seems incomplete, not all the installed software is on that list.

Thanks in advance for the help you can privide me.

Carlos Fuentes

Warwickshire Schools Email System

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please forward to: postmaster at we-learn.com.

If the content of this email is considered to be inappropriate or offensive please report by forwarding to: reportabuse at we-learn.com