[python-win32] Example code for SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems?

Roger Upole rupole at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 5 08:02:17 CEST 2012

Scott Nelson wrote:
> Greetings...
>
> Would anyone happen to have some sample code of how to use
> SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems?  I've been tinkering with it and haven't got
> anything to work yet.  This is the closest I've got:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> TypeError: Must be an array of IDLs
>
> The errors I've seen in my experiments mention "IDLs" and "ITEMIDLIST"
> objects.  I've dug a bit through the pywin32 docs and MDSN and didn't have
> much luck understanding what the Python wrapper required and how to
> construct these object.  I must admit I don't have much Win32 API
> programming experience.
>
> I'm using Active State's Python 2.6.2.2 on Vista and I installed the 32 bit
> version of pywin32, build 217.
>
> For reverence, here's some links:
> I submitted the feature request for SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3396444&group_id=78018&atid=551957
>
> The changeset that implements this function is here:
> http://pywin32.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/pywin32/pywin32/rev/1452829d69ec.
>
> And, here's the MSDN doc:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762232%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
>
> Any nudges in the right direction would be helpful.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Scott

from win32com.shell import shell, shellcon
import win32api

folder = win32api.GetTempPath()
folder_pidl=shell.SHILCreateFromPath(folder,0)[0]
desktop = shell.SHGetDesktopFolder()
shell_folder = desktop.BindToObject(folder_pidl, None, shell.IID_IShellFolder)
items = [item for item in shell_folder][:5]
## print (items)
shell.SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems(folder_pidl, items, 0)