[python-win32] how can I do marshall.ReleaseComObject in python ?? [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Andrew MacIntyre Andrew.MacIntyre at acma.gov.au
Wed Sep 12 03:00:48 CEST 2012

[sorry for top post]

CPython uses reference counting; when the reference count drops to 0, the object is deleted and its memory returned to the heap.

CPython’s garbage collector is there to attempt to resolve situations where the reference count is not being allowed to drop to 0 (such as via circular references).  CPython’s garbage collector isn’t the same as garbage collection in other languages (such as Java).

Setting a variable to None in CPython will definitely force an object to be deleted if its reference count drops to zero.

The garbage collector has an additional function (run as a side-effect) which may give the impression of delayed cleanup – when it is run, it checks the state of Python’s private memory allocator, and if there are unused memory chunks in the private heap it will return them to the OS.

-------------------------> "These thoughts are mine alone!" <---------
Andrew MacIntyre           Operations Branch
tel:   +61 2 6219 5356     Communications Infrastructure Division