[python-win32] optimizing code to read serial port

Vernon D. Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 20:04:43 CET 2014

 I second the suggestion to try pySerial.  I have used it for years to
control RS-232 equipment -- don't know why I did not think of that.
Like Terra-Term, pySerial will use device-level, rather than
file-level APIs to talk to the UART.

Of course, your success will depend a great deal on the skill of the
programmer who wrote the driver for your USB-serial device. The
important part of the work is done in the driver when it processes
interrupts in Kernel mode. The USB adapter I tried -- well, lets just
say it's still sitting in a box of loose parts. That's why I have been
contemplating a Raspberry Pi purchase myself.   Perhaps we should take
this discussion off line and compare notes.