[python-win32] Python scripting with Active Directory

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Jul 17 10:47:45 CEST 2014

On 17/07/2014 09:19, Anis Liyana wrote:
> I am currently on a project for back up server with python script.
> The project is actually arise from problem whereby when I need to back
> up my server (Windows Server 2003), I usually use Robocopy but, when I
> copy the folders from server 1 to server 2, it doesn't copy the user and
> group access as well. Thus, I need to manually configure the users and
> groups permission for each of the folders. I decided to try Python
> scripting as part of the solution but I'm novice with Python and windows
> active directory as well. I'm not sure how to copy the users and groups
> in active directory.
>
> I browse through the website and found python-win32, I would like to try
> it, but since I'm not familiar so I'm not sure how to get it done. So
> far, I only able to code the Python scripting on copying the folders. I
> hope that I can proceed with users permission as well.

I hesitate to say this but: are you sure that you want to be reinventing
this particular wheel in Python? I can certainly point you towards
information and tools (admittedly, most of them on my own website).

But you say that you're new to Python and to Windows security. If this
is just to hone your skills and see how it works, fine. But if you were
trying to do this for professional purposes I'd be inclined to look  for
an existing solution.

Anyhow, if you're still keen, I suggest you look at:

  http://timgolden.me.uk/python/win32_how_do_i/add-security-to-a-file.html

and

  https://github.com/tjguk/winsys

  http://winsys.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html