[python-win32] Windows automation basics

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Mar 6 00:23:19 CET 2014

Alan Gauld wrote:
> And for interest only, where is COM in the world
> of .NET and Windows 8+ etc? Are there better options
> today?

As far as I understand, not always. If the functionality
you're after happens to exist in the form of a .NET
library, and you're willing to use a .NET-compatible
language, you can access it directly, but otherwise
you still need to go through COM.

As for discovering an app's COM interface, if any,
I think the only way to find out in general is to
read the app's documentation. It's possible for an
app to make its COM interface introspectable, but
not every app does that.

--
Greg