[python-win32] win32api on Windows 8

Werner wernerfbd at gmx.ch
Wed Mar 12 11:14:09 CET 2014

Hi,

On 12/03/2014 08:25, Werner wrote:
> Hi Vernon,
>
> On 11/03/2014 19:43, Vernon D. Cole wrote:
>> I updated the Python version on my Windows 8.1 box to match yours
>> exactly, and here is what I see:
>>
>>     Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
>>     (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>>
>>     C:\Users\vernon>py
>>     Python 2.7.6 (default, Nov 10 2013, 19:24:18) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
>>     (Intel)] on win32
>>     Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
>> information.
>>      >>> import win32api
>>      >>> win32api.GetVersion()
>>     602931718
>>      >>>

>> The difference I see is that my Python says "on win32" but yours does
>> not, so there is some difference in the installations.
>> I used the Python x86 msi installer, UAC on, installed for all users
>> from an administrator account, taking all defaults.
>> I am running on an administrator account.
>>
>> How might your installation be different?
> The only difference is that I installed just for my user (which is an
> admin account)  I'll de-install and install for all users again.
Still searching but got a bit further.

The problem is only happening within the WingIDE 5 Python shell, if I do
the import using python27/python.exe then it works fine.

I have posted to WingIDE support, will see if they have an explanation
and hopefully a solution.

I checked sys.path on both and they are identical, so it must be
something WingIDE is doing.

Werner