[python-win32] Win32com Error any suggestions?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Apr 16 19:02:40 CEST 2015

Carl Evans wrote:

> I am trying to dipatch excel using the win32com library but for some
> reason am running into an issue. I have the following code:

The obvious question is, do you have Excel installed?

That error (80080005) means that the COM server app (Excel, in this
case) did not start up and register itself within the timeout period,
which is usually a very long time -- 2 minutes.  If you start Excel by
hand, does it start right up?  Is it possible you ran this on a machine
that had a trial version, and the trial period had expired, or the app
had never been run and its trying to install itself?

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com