[python-win32] python-win32 Digest, Vol 145, Issue 6

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Apr 16 19:13:09 CEST 2015

You might consider double-checking your message subjects before
responding.  That's especially important when you read the digest.

Blair Hall wrote:

>     Can you show us your manifest?
>

> Thanks for taking a look.
>
> I have put the contents of the manifest file at the bottom of this post:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29597999/incorrect-dll-is-loaded-from-windows-path-instead-of-manifest
>
> My understanding was that the operating system should look for the
> manifest, but, well, it doesn't seem to be doing that for me. :-(

Well, here's the thing that makes this tricky.  The manifest you showed
is associated with the library, not with your DLL.  It is telling the
system which version of the CRT is included in your Microsoft.VC90.CRT
folder.  But unless you have a manifest associated with your
application, there's nothing that tells the system to go look for that
specific version.  By default, it will go searching for the newest one.

The side-by-side stuff is an abomination, which is why it was abandoned
in Visual Studio 2010.

One ugly alternative would be to edit sys.path in your code before you
start your imports.  If you remove everything but the Windows
directories, that should solve the problem.

However, EVEN IF it finds the wrong DLL, I don't understand why you
would see a failure.  If it found msvcr90.dll once, it should be able to
find it again and again.  That confuses me.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com