[python-win32] Error R6034 when I import uuid

Blair Hall blairdhall at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 23:35:14 CEST 2015

> I have used py2exe on another project that creates an EXE. This
> > project also imports uuid (it basically imports the same stuff I am
> > using now, but for a different application). In that case, the
> > manifest seems to work as expected. So, I wonder what is different in
> > the case of my DLL? Well one thing that I can think of is that the
> > problem arises when registering the DLL as a COM server, using
> > regsvr32. Could it be that Windows does not know to look for the
> > manifest in the right place because it is regsvr32 that is running?!
>
> It's not that easy.  As I said, the manifest you have provided is not
> actually connected to your DLL.  It merely lets the operating system
> know about the runtime library that you have included.  If the DLL
> search path comes to your folder, the fact that you have provided a
> manifest means that the system is allowed to find your version of
> msvcr90.  If there is someone else earlier in the search order that also
> has one, it will find that one instead.

I get your point that the first manifest I provided is not specific to the
DLL, but the second (embedded in the DLL) manifest that I posted seems to
identify a particular version of msvcr90.dll. Sadly, Windows does not worry
about matching the version of msvcr90.dll: it just loads the first one it
finds with the correct name. So what is the embedded manifest in the DLL
really there for?

I suppose in the case of my other project that produces an executable,
Windows is going to include the executable folder early in the search path,
so the runtime library is found via the manifest in that case?

Anyway, you say "the manifest you have provided is not actually connected
to your DLL". Is there something that I can do with these manifests so that
there is a connection?