[python-win32] hoto cast pyobject to ccompnt

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sat Nov 28 02:30:02 EST 2015

On Nov 26, 2015, at 11:34 PM, Matteo Boscolo <matteo.boscolo at boscolini.eu> wrote:

> in my cpp code I have my function that recive a com objetc from python
> into args
> from here I'm not able to cast such an object into a ccompnt
>
> static PyObject *
> connect(PyObject * self, PyObject * args)
> {
>         PyObject * pyApplication;
>         CComPtr<IUnknown> pUnk;
>         //try to get active object
>         if (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "O", &pyApplication))
>             return NULL;
>         pUnk=(CComPtr<IUnknown> )pyApplication; //<<---- not able to cast

You are just getting a compile-time error, right?  That’s because the smart pointer wrapper (CComPtr)will only accept a pointer that actually derives from the type it is wrapping.  In this case, that’s not so.  You will probably have to force the pointer to be an IUnknown* before you can wrap it in a smart pointer.

    pUnk = (IUnknown*)pyApplication;

—
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com