[python3-ldap] python3-ldap 0.7.3 released!

python3ldap python3ldap at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 15:19:51 CET 2014

Hello everybody,
I've released the 0.7.3 version of python3-ldap which implements the
SASL DIGEST-MD5 authentication mechanism.

 Even if DIGEST-MD5 is deprecated by RFC 6331 that clearly states that
SASL DIGEST-MD5 is an insecure and unsuitable mechanism for use in
protocols, marks it as OBSOLETE in the IANA Registry of SASL
mechanisms and moves RFC 2831 to Historic status I've developed the
authentication phase of the protocol because it is still used in ldap
servers.

To use the DIGEST-MD5 you must pass a 4-value tuple as
saslCredentials: (realm, user, password, authzId). You can pass None
for realm and authzId if they are not used. Quality of Protection is
always 'auth':

server = Server(host = test_server, port = test_port)
connection = Connection(server, autoBind = True, version = 3,
clientStrategy = test_strategy, authentication = AUTH_SASL,
saslMechanism = 'DIGEST-MD5', saslCredentials = (None, 'username',
'password', None))

Username is not required to be an ldap entry, but it can be any
identifier recognized by the server (i.e. email, principal). If you
pass None as realm the default realm of the server will be used.

There is also a minor bug fix when using parentheses as characters of
search filter (thanks jeph).

Again keep in mind that DIGEST-MD5 is deprecated and should not be used

Happy New Year,
gc