[python3-ldap] python3-ldap and Django

python3ldap python3ldap at gmail.com
Wed May 21 10:57:40 CEST 2014

Hello Richard, thanks for your message. Regarding your question on
python-ldap compatability I'm starting to write some test code for the
"drop in" but I can't assure I will get something suitable for a
production environment. The main issue is that python-ldap is a
wrapper to the openldap C client library, so I can't check thoroughly
how the C code manages the sending and receiving of data. I think that
I should be able to wirte a "compat" package that translates the
python-ldap signature to python3-ldap, but I think that the result
depends on how the python-ldap code is used in the application. So in
your case I prefer the first option (rewrite django-auth-ldap and
django-ldapdb) for python3-ldap because you can reuse it in any other
django based application.

Anyway I hope to have something working in a month or two.

Bye,
Giovanni

Have fun,
gc